Re: [NTLK] Hi to all and some questions

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 17:39:50 EDT

On May 24, 2006, at 4:42 PM, Xenon Soft wrote:
> 3) How is the real problem of not having Ethernet on 120 or 130
> Messagepads? Yes, I know the restrictions of NIE 1.1, but for
> example, you can use Ethernet even on a MSX computer. I've used
> Ethernet + IRC on a MSX 2, using simply MSX-DOS and InterNestor
> Lite (www.konamiman.com). ONly 3,57 Mhz and 128 KB RAM. Do you
> think that it's important to do Ethernet and new TCP/IP interface
> for this Newtons?

Salva brings up a good point here.

Could it be possible to, while upgrading NIE (http://
u.nie.notwen.com/), make it usable under NOS 2.0? I do not have a non-
NOS 2.1 Newton, yet, so I haven't experienced exactly what NIE 1.1 is
like, nor have I explored the aspects of their implementation.

I'm wondering where people might start in implementing a new NIE:
Reverse engineer and patch? Pick a solid TCP/IP stack (the BSD ones
are often used, especially NetBSD as the open source license is
agreeable and they've been around a _long_ time) and try to shoehorn
it into the NIE API?

Sincerely,

Morgan Aldridge

--