Re: [NTLK] Newt and Internet Telephony

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 00:30:14 EDT

On May 22, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Noah Christopher Leon wrote:

> Hay everyone,
>
> This may be a stupid question, but has anybody thought of porting an
> internet phone, such as skype onto the Newt?
>
> I realize it's probably not possible for many reasons, but I have to
> ask. It would be so cool.

I have thought about this for sure, although I don't like skype and
would prefer a generic SIP client with a compact audio codec like GSM.
I did search around a bit and it seems clear that the Newton can handle
this, as it has GSM playback already.

This would be a super slick Newton function, although it could only
support calling out, as I don't think the newton could wake up when
dialed? Dunno really and certainly need a hot shot developer to make it
happen.

I am certainly ready to pay $100 for this application.

Marty