Re: [NTLK] Newton Bluetooth for newbies

From: Eckhart Köppen <eck1003_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 15:18:39 EST

On 13. Mar 2006, at 18:41, Thomas Tempelmann wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the PICO card is internally emulating a serial
> port, and hence using the Newton's serial i/o to transfer the
> bluetooth data?

Actually, that's indeed how many non-USB Bluetooth modules work. The
low level interface is a serial protocol, for PCMCIA as well as the
internal module I'm using. The modules are capable of higher speeds
than 230kbps (and are sometimes configured for such speeds by
default, changing that is most of the driver work in Blunt), but the
Newton won't go faster. That means that the theoretical upper limit
is about 20k/sec. However, the real limit is lower, mostly due to the
NewtonScript layer.

> Or do you mean that PCMCIA also has a "serial i/o" mode and that all
> the Newton drivers only use that mode, making it so slow?

I think that all PCMCIA Bluetooth cards are implemented that way,
they show up as serial devices under e.g. Windows when you don't have
the proper drivers. It might be different for CardBus cards though.

Eckhart