Re: [NTLK] Newton Bluetooth for newbies

From: Thomas Tempelmann <tempelmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 11:41:29 EST

Adriano,

> consider that 3KB/s correspond to 38400bps which is default speed of
> any Newton serial port.
>
> Ethernet is configured to run at 230400bps by default instead.

Are you suggesting that the PICO card is internally emulating a serial
port, and hence using the Newton's serial i/o to transfer the
bluetooth data? I cannot believe that it works that way. And even
more, an Ethernet card in the Newton is surely not transmitting thru a
serial port.

So, the limit of up to 230kbps makes no sense as such speed limit
exists only when using the serial i/o hardware.

Instead, the PCMCIA drivers for the bluetooth and the ethernet cards
should be talking directly to the cards and transfer the data in a
faster way.

Or do you mean that PCMCIA also has a "serial i/o" mode and that all
the Newton drivers only use that mode, making it so slow?

> Such setting can be easily configured to run faster and get a max
> speed of 230400bps.

How would I do that then? I can't see that Blunt has such an option.
And if it could, why doesn't Blunt do it automatically?

Thomas