Re: [NTLK] A question:

From: William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 17:20:57 EST

Tony Kan wrote:
> Uh is this legal?
>
> [snip]
> Has anyone in the community mapped out the motherboard for the Newton
> 2100? I've begun doing this as a hobby of mine, to perhaps make a
> small run, with a few minor modifications (audio in/out instead of a
> speaker and a mic., serial port already in, etc.)
> [snip]
irrespective of legality I do believe this is a multi layer board which
makes this a significant effort (not to mention the cost). you'll have
to remove all of the parts from your MB and move them to the new one.
(at least the non standard parts) and there is not a lot of room to move
things to. if one were to go to all of this effort then moving to a
higher powered ARM would also be in the works.

this sounds like a significant amount of effort for someone who admits
to not being the uh best of engineers (no offence meant)

also apart from the legality is if apple were to take offence at this
effort and tie one up just to increase the level of difficulty.

nice thought, give it a whack i don't think anyone would get mad if you
did this for yourself, reselling might be problimatic. but as usuall i'm
not a lawyer i only play one in my own mind ;-)

william

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.