Re: [NTLK] Bootstrapped! D'oh!

From: Keyth Owen <keyth.owen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 13:24:06 EST

Update:

The surgery on the hinges went OK, but I fear the eMate shall never be
worked on internally again. The cheap screwdriver set I used (the only
one I could find with a Torx T8 in it) was *too* cheap. The T10
wouldn't turn the screws-- It just spun on it's own handle without
turning the shaft that was touching the screw. I had to break out the
power screwdriver, and although I got in, did the soldering, did the
hinge repair, and got out fine, I ended up screwing up the reassembly
by forgetting to make sure the contrast switch was aligned properly.
When I turned on the eMate, I moved the switch and blanked the screen
from contrast adjustment, and then found I couldn't undo it. The slider
moved all the way to the left, but then wasn't connected to the plastic
device on the case and wouldn't slide back the other way.

So, I set to work opening the case again. In the first step of doing
so, and having to use the powered screwdriver for T10, I ended up
stripping a corner screw. I ended up having to use a dremel to cut the
plastic around the screw (not my original intention, but it worked) and
then cut the right-side connection to the grounding plate. But I did
get back in and fix that contrast switch!

So, on the final reassembly, I had a corner that was not secured by a
screw. worried that I might have a problem if that corner remained
unsecured, I dropped a little solder on it and then finished it off
with some epoxy in the hole, hopefully binding the plastic to the
now-permanent warped screw. That corner of the bottom of the case won't
come off easily ever again.

But the hinger repair was a success, and the hinge needed it! It was
about halfway to slipping out and doing damage to the cable, and the
grease was dried out.