Re: [NTLK] MP2100 internet over ethernet: something new, something old.

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 08:49:47 EST

Johannes Wolf schreef:
> First off:
> if the LED on the router is not lit while the ethernet card in your Newt is
> ACTIVE, there is something wron in your HARDWARE.
> I do have a 3C589D that has a special connector where you can plug an
> adapter cable that has the ususal RJ-45 connector on the other end.
> The small flat connector that plugs into the card has a LED as well.
> This LED is lit only in case the ethernet card is active.
> As long as you do not access the card from the Newt via software, the card
> is in sleep mode where neither the connector LED nor the connection LED on
> the router is lit.
> There is a very simple way to check the hardware without having any impact
> of the installed software: after a reset the card shall be ACTIVE for a few
> seconds.
>
> I do not know how the interface of the 3C589C to the RJ-45 is realised, but
> the problem must be in that adapter or the card itself if the simple test
> described above fails.

The card does flash when inserted and after a reboot of the Newton.

I tried the card in a Windows 2000 tablet pc and it not only connected,
but worked perfectly. It appears the problem is a combination of a too
modern router (10/100 mbps) and too old Newton software which cannot
cope with the speed switching of the router.

For the moment, the project (if one can call it that) is on ice, at
least until I can try out a friend's Netgear wireless card. The WiFi
part of the router is 11 mbps only, so no switching weirdness should
occur. Antoher problem is finding my connection software again...

Karel Jansens