Re: [NTLK] (OT) Poland & Poutine!! Ne'er the twain shall meet

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 02:21:32 EDT

On 6/8/06, Alaric Dyson <ADyson@rogers.com> wrote:
> Sadly I won't be going in the direction of Krakow. No, I haven't met up with
> the cold fish yet. I'll have to find out about that. I did have a fish
> experience in Norway though. The Hotel I stayed at in Ergesund served mainly
> fish every day even for breakfast. Couldn't wait to get home and sink my
> teeth into a nice juicy steak. So far all the food I've eaten in Poland
> though unpronouncable has tasted good . I still think they use way too much
> unnecessary characters in their words. I been told Canadians have a pretty
> bad reputation here in Tarnobrzeg since they pulled out of the sulphur
> mining business. I've been advised to keep a low profile.
>
> My observation: A Tim Horton's style Poutine & Coffee chain could be a
> lucrative business in Poland or is that just my North American way of
> thinking.

Well, Dunkin' Donuts seems to have gone out of business here. :-( They
once had several shops in town, and survived for several years!
Suddenly, around 2000, poof! They were all gone. I still have my DD
travel mug. I know that their coffee was highly considered, which is
amazing, considering the very good, strong European coffees it had to
compete with (My favorite is Lavazza express roast--in the black can.
You can buy it some places in the US--World Market comes to mind)

But in any case, I fear for what would happen to a Tim Horton's.... I
wouldn't complain if they tried, however! I like their coffee, too.
;-)

Shame you won't be making it down here.... Oh well...

P.S. Sorry for the delay. We took visitors to the mountains, to
Zakopane yesterday--gone all day.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland