Re: [NTLK] Fighting Complacency within the Newton Community

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 08:44:12 EDT

~~~ On 2006/07/31 12:46, Oliver Leaman at oliverleaman@hotmail.com wrote ~~~

> Lord Groundhog got it right. We are a diverse bunch, and let's keep it that
> way. I for example have had an eMate since it first came out, and it has
> remained my main machine, yet despite this I can do very little of the
> exciting things that many on the list discuss. I don't want to, I am happy
> with the machine as it is, although I very much enjoy reading about the
> developments that others try to pursue. I suppose I am complacent, I am
> happy with the machine as it is. Someone once wrote an article comparing the
> Newton community to a religious group, and this discussion brings that out
> nicely. As in all religions, there are believers who constantly seek higher
> forms of religious experience and ways to express their enthusiasm,and then
> there are those, probably the majority, who just are happy with things as
> they are. Any successful religion manages to include both groups within it.
>
> Oliver

No credit to me, Oliver, I was quoting from Jon Glass' post -- and he said
he got some of that from something he read. (A glory of human civilization
-- and there seems little enough of that just now -- is how we sometimes can
learn from one another rather than killing one another.)

So, you and I, and maybe others, have to thank a total stranger for
information, in this case an insightful analysis of how people in support
lists like NTLK go through stages.

Just like this list then.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/