Re: [NTLK] [OT] Old Macs ……

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 12:49:59 EDT

On Jul 28, 2006, at 9:46 PM, andrewfox@mac.com wrote:

> Hi,
> FWIW I don't think he has nailed it;-)
>
> If his internal drive is larger than 8GB or the first partition is
> larger than 8GB then the OS X installer should STILL be able to see
> the drive and display it in the list of drives to install on window.
True, especially since he already said he has the original 4 or 6
gig ;~)

> It will however have a red circle with a slash through it if the
> drive is the first partition of the volume and is larger than 8GB.
Or something like that.

> Sounds more like the drive is partitioned for Linux in a format that
> OS X don't recognise.
I have one of these machines also, and it's disk controller/CD ROM
seems wacky to. Can't boot from my OS9 CD or the Jaguar CD either.

> Any G3 based Mac except the original iBook I believe had the "first
> partition on the disk MUST be less than 8GB" issue.
This is actually not a machine specific issue, but a disk controller
specific one. For example, this issue exists on the Beige G3, but if
you install a SCSI controller, you can use much larger volumes
without this issue. The iMac of course (except the original with the
mezz. port) has no such options.

> The iBook escaped cos it shipped with a 3GB disk
>

> LOL! but many
> users upgraded iMacs with cheap aftermarket disks in search of more
> space.

As long as the first partition is under 8G then the OSX installer is
happy.

Marty