[NTLK] New Newton eBooks!

From: <mkow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 01 2006 - 13:20:08 EDT

Greetings Newtonfolk:

Phew! I am happily amazed to see th Newtontalk.net bulletin board kick
into the postings for next month so seemlessly (Seems like it usually
took a week before the next month's threads would be posted). It's nice
to see it working so well, now! :O)

A new job and the the slew of summertime domestic responsibilities have
seriously eroded my spare time. Nonetheless, I've managed to edit two
more Newton eBooks in the past month or so:

HUNTING THE GRISLY AND OTHER SKETCHES
An Account of the Big Game of the United States and its Chase with
Horse Hound, and Rifle

Note from the Newton eBook publisher:

I tried to preserve the feel of the original source text. However, none
of the paragraph marks were preserved in NewtonPress, so I had to guess
as to where some of the paragraph breaks should occur. Roosevelt's
rambling writing style made this a very tedious process, and at times I
inserted breaks randomly, simply to break the chapter content up a bit.
I apologize in advance to the reader.

This particular eBook contains many incidental first-hand and
second-hand accounts of hunting adventures, as narrated by the
twenty-sixth president of the United States. My first reaction as I
edited and read through this book was, "What an utter pig and menace to
our planet!" Then, I realized that this was the mindset of most people
in the United States in the 19th century: "If it is wild and beautiful,
tame it or kill it in the process." Taking this eBook too seriously
will NOT make you proud to be an American, or proud of Teddy Roosevelt
for that matter. However, this eBook will provide the reader with a
wealth of information on the natural history of the Amercican West two
centuries ago. There is an interesting bonus at the very end of the
eBook: a second-hand account describing an encounter with a (bigfoot?)
creature in the Pacific Northwest, given by Teddy himself!

-

THE STORY OF NEWFOUNDLAND

by THE RIGHT HON. THE LORD BIRKENHEAD Lord High Chancellor of Great
Britain
Honorary Fellow of Wadham and Merton Colleges, Oxford
New and Enlarged Edition London Horace Marshall & Son Temple House And
125 Fleet Street, E.C. 1920 Printed in Great Britain by Turnbull &
Spears, Edinburgh

TABLE OF CONTENTS

CH I. THE LAND AND ITS PEOPLE
CH II. THE AGE OF DISCOVERY
CH III. EARLY HISTORY
CH IV. EARLY HISTORY
CH V. THE STRUGGLE FOR EXISTENCE
CH VI. THE ENGLISH COLONIAL SYSTEM AND ITS RESULTS
CH VII. SELF-GOVERNMENT
CH VIII. MODERN NEWFOUNDLAND
CH IX. THE REID CONTRACT--AND AFTER
CH X. THE FRENCH SHORE QUESTION

Um, this second one is a history of Newfoundland. I don't have any
fancy description to dress this one up; if you are interested in
reading about the colonization of this huge island province, give it a
go.

---------------

I forwarded these eBook titles, the source documents, and the 'Read Me'
files on to DJ. Look for them soon.

And just a brief reminder that in trying to utilize copyright-free
materials from Project Gutenberg and other public sources, my hands are
pretty much tied, in terms of what content is available. Some of these
books are more interesting than others. Most of the available content
seems to be books of fiction, and I'm striving to bring Newton readers
more in the way of books on educational topics, such as exploration,
history, ecology/gardening, self-help, and so forth. It ain't easy to
find halfway decent content. If you have a good copyright-free source
for something that you'd like to see Newtonized, contact me (No vague
descriptions without source materials, please).

One further reminder that this bulletin board exists for folks to also
try and GIVE BACK, and NOT just TAKE. Rant off.

Matt K.
Detroit, MIchigan, USA
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.