Re: [NTLK] MP2100 upgrade (speaking of which...)

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 19:31:13 PST

    Ed> As long as you don't mind a slight bulge in your Newt,
    Ed> installing the ser-001 is as easy as opening your newt (yeah
    Ed> right...like that's easy...) and plugging something into a
    Ed> socket.

Actually, I didn't mention that, but I did send a note to PCBMan about
it.... The slight bulge eventually resulted in a cracked case for me.
The MP2100 still works fine, but if he remakes them, it would be nice if
about 0.5mm could be shaved off the height to avoid the bulge. I might
get a second one anyway (for my second MP), but if the bulge problem
were eliminated....

    Ed> As for the 220MHz upgrade? I don't know if that company is still
    Ed> selling it, but it requires soldering skills and working with
    Ed> tiny components...If you just want to swap your crystal with a
    Ed> faster one, you can check out my pages on the at:
    Ed> http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed

You can google for this mod; I've seen one which uses both crystals and
a switch to go back and forth between speeds. That one looks attractive
to me since it would allow beaming with a non-modded Newt.

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court