[NTLK] MP2100 internet over ethernet: something new, something old.

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 10:37:34 EST

I'm still (fruitlessly) trying to connect my Newton via ethernet to my
router, which is connected to my ADSL modem, which is connected to the
internet. ("the legbone's connected to the arsebone...")

Sofar, no luck, as reported before. When I choose DHCP server from the
connection slip, the connection times out with the message that the
server could not configure this device); when I select manual setup and
fill in the blanks, I get a complaint that no working DNS server could
be found.

So I tried something new: previously I had used the UTP cable that goes
to my desktop to hook up my Newton, but today I plugged in a fresh cable
in a new slot in the router and plugged that into my 3Com card. Funnily
enough no extra light will come on on the router when I try to connect
the Newton. So there definitely must be something wrong, connectionwise,
on the Newton side.

I would like to stress -- again, and to prevent obvious but non-helpful
replies -- that all the needed packages have been installed on this
Newton, even the ones that might not be necessary for this type of
connection: INETSTUP.PKG, INETENBL.PKG, MODMSUP.PKG, ISPTMPLT.PKG,
NEWTDEV.PKG, ENETSUP.PKG, Farallonethernet.PKG, 3comaddon.PKG. I even
have LOCTSUP.PKG installed (because I occasionally print to a
laserprinter with a localtalk card). Again, the network card is a 3Com
3C589C Etherlink III card, which is fully supported by the drivers (and
yes: I am using the "3C589" setting for the driver).

So why doesn't the light on the router go on when I try to connect?

Getting pretty desperate here,

Karel Jansens