Re: [NTLK] Questions about phonecards

From: Giulio Marchi (emfdb_at_tiscali.it)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 15:19:30 PST

All right, I may admit that I am not going to add anything extremely
useful to the conversation, still I would like to join this request for
information about PCMCIA cardphones.

Apparently the FAQ do not mention them and some live experience or wise
advise, e.g. on how hard it is to make them work, would be extremely
useful for the mortal of us. I say "hard" and not "impossible" to make
them work as actually there is a NokiaCardPhone2.0.pkg in drivers/modem
of UNNA and I am inclined to think that it must have some reason to
exist...

I see that several people still manage to use the GSM card to connect
the Newton to a cell phone but I agree that one could feel like the
time-warp kid because of the supported phones. In addition, unless you
agree to use two phones, it would imply to change your phone to a
*much* older one if I am not wrong and, even if you use your cell phone
just to phone and you have the most simple model (as I do), still there
are several other issues to be considered such as general obsolescence,
batteries, display, signal, etc.

A simple cardphone would be something really close to an elegant
solution. So: if you know something about PCMCIA cardphones, please
enlighten us.

Regards,

Giulio