Re: [NTLK] the Tablet Rumor arises AGAIN!

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 17:52:43 PST

Victor Rehorst wrote:
> KL wrote:

<snip>

> Innovative products need not be original, they just need to be better than
> your competitors.
<snip>
>>desktop type interface is not appropriate for that purpose and I'm
>>amazed that MS is content with sticking XP on there.
<snip>
> - makes it dead-simple to run Windows apps on tablets, don't need to port to
> some esoteric platform

changing the UI doesn't necessarily mean you need to rewrite your apps.
If you've done the programming correctly then the app just needs to tell
the OS to open a menu with these items, pop a window like this and the
OS handles what it looks like. you can make it look different but the
same with simple skinning, enough the same that your users don't mind
too much, different enough to take, some, advantage of the form factor.
this won't give you a newton feel but you can make your xp look
something a little like a mac (or visa versa).

I personally would be happy to start with a 12" powerbook/tablet with
HWR and go from there.

william

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.