Re: [NTLK] Dead Newton Lives!

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 16:43:33 PST

> I have a feeling that it is my charger that is the problem.
> When I have it plugged in with the rechargable batteries it
> doesn't seem to be recharging.

Pretty easy to find out. Simply remove the battery and power
the Newton with the AC adapter only. If this works, it can't
be all that dead.
If it works, install NewtTest, available in the software section
of the site in the signature, and let us know what it says in
the battery subtest. I'm inclined to think that your battery pack
might not be recognized as a rechargeable pack anymore, in which
case NewtTest would report the Battery Type as Alkaline.
If this is the case, this is most likely because the Newton can't
sense the temperature resistor. See

    http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html

for info on which contacts it is connected to. You should measure
between 7 and 10 kOhm, depending on room temperature.

Frank