Re: [NTLK] WiFi Problems

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 14:13:27 EST

On 12/21/06, Ian Johnson <itjohnson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:
> > My best wishes on your adventure... with WiFi...
> > First off what version of the WaveLAN card do you have?
> > Original White Label, Bronze, Silver or Gold... or OEM (which level/
> > color)?
>
> It's a Turbo Silver (the one in the graphite Airport base stations).

Ian,

Okay, so I was assuming that was the case but didn't want to suggest
anything unless this was clarified first.

> > This will be the deciding factor possibly if it will work.
> > Also you will need to figure out if it's not a WaveLAN that's already
> > recognized. If it's a variant that isn't recognized then you might
> > need to try More WiFi or possibly try Card Info and get the info for
> > More WiFi to be updated to recognize the card...
>
> This is interesting - when I installed More WiFi, the Newton gave me
> an error message that said Hiroshi's driver and Lantern/Newton
> Devices had to be installed, even though both of those packages were
> already on the Newton. It installed More WiFi anyway, but it hasn't
> helped anything. It sounds like I have everything installed that's
> supposed to be, but for some reason the Newton refuses to recognize
> the card.

Great, ... to my understanding and recollection I believe you need the
following items installed only.
NIE 2.0 last release if there were updates. No the modified files.
WiFi Driver
(DO NOT install Lantern or MoreWiFi as these cause conflicts with the
WaveLAN Cards... if this were a COMPAQ WL110 (a rebadged WaveLAN Gold
then MoreWiFi would needed) .... Lantern is needed for cards with a
long file name IIRC...

HTH and is correct - please correct me if I've added or left something
out incorrectly..

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung