Re: [NTLK] looking for dead or dying 2x00 battery packs

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 18:26:32 EDT

On 26/08/2006, at 12:10 AM, Roman Pixell [GMail] wrote:
> g*d d*mn - you are a resource to the community!
> on another note, it would be very useful if we had fast-charging
> cells, how is the charging time for your intended polymer cells? are
> they lighter than NiMH? what charge do they hold? (im getting 10 Ah
> from my 4 AA cells, but they need to charge for a whole hour and tend
> to discharge some even if i dont use the newt.)
>
> PS: maybe you can make use the recelling project for a school paper?
>
> / ®

They would be relatively fast charging, depending on what cell
structure I decide to implement. flat/gumpacks tend to bulge rather
annoyingly if you charge them too fast or overcharge them, so
cylindrical are definately the way to go for fast charging in the
tight, confined battery pack. The AA size '14500' are between
700-1000mAh and are capable of a 2x capacity discharge, however the
Newt only draws about 50-80mA and a little bit more with communications
cards. The advantage is less internal discharge so it won't lose it's
charge as quickly if you leave it be for extended periods of time, and
won't die as quickly as an NiMH cell. For my uni projects, I'm actually
designing a microcontroller based surface mount (SMD) component reflow
oven using a toaster oven I picked up for $30. Might use the
display/touch panel from one of my MP2100's or MP130's as the interface
if I can get it to talk with an Atmel AVR microprocessor, otherwise
I'll find another panel(possibly with more sensitivity to finger touch
than stylus touch). Anyways, these are for later on. :-)

Regards
   - Adam Goddard