Re: [NTLK] looking for dead or dying 2x00 battery packs

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 09:32:52 EDT

On 25/08/2006, at 10:31 PM, Roman Pixell [GMail] wrote:
> do you plan a battery recall programme simultaneously?
> LOL ;-D
>
> On 25 aug 2006, at 14.10, Adam Goddard wrote:
>
>> Anyone in the Austral-asia-pacific region that has some dead battery
>> packs willing to be donated (postage paid by myself) for
>> experimentation with lithium ion cells (with internal regulator and
>> charging) and/or re-celling with high cap. AA's for a decent price?
>> pashosh (/at/) tpg (/dot/) com (/dot/) au

Sony's '18650' cells are too big to fit in the pack. ;-P
Generally, though, they are good cells, just they have to have someone
stuff up every once in a while to keep us on our toes. :o)
I plan to get some samples of a few types of Li-Ion/Polymer packs in
both flat/gumstick, AA and slightly elongated AA, design a switchmode
or low dropout linear regulator/charger and hope it'll all fit in the
battery pack!! It'll need to have a separate wall charger and you
wouldn't be able to charge with the original charger(need around
12V@500mA-1A, usually from 10-15V). This would directly plug into the
battery where you can see it stick out of the MP2x00. Will take me a
while to design, test and produce as I'm a full-time student studying
electrical engineering and casual electronics retail salesperson, but I
think the community would appreciate a longer lasting/new technology
power source. :-)

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard