Re: [NTLK] Spreadsheet Apps?

From: Don Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 09:04:43 EDT

On Aug 9, 2006, at 2:38 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

>> I email the QFworks file to myself, select the contents of the email,
>> copy and paste them into the first cell of an excel spreadsheet.
>> Works like a charm, and works Excel-to-QFW as well.

I've never been able to do this directly. When I email a QFWorks file
to myself, the resultant email message contains a leading tab character
in each row. No matter which spreadsheet application I have tried
(Excel 2000 on Windows, AppleWorks 6 or NeoOffice 2.0 on my Mac) this
leading tab character is interpreted as a column after a copy/paste,
and the formulas therefore don't reference the correct cells, leading
to invalid calculations.

> could you explain this in greater detail? Are you emailing an attached
> file, or just the text? Also, do formulas come through, or just text?

The most efficient method I have used to move spreadsheets from the
Newton to my Mac is:

1) Email the QFWorks file using Mail V with 'text only' checked. I
have also used the 'Desktop' transport to send the file to a terminal
application for capture when using my PB1400. I am now mostly using a
G4 Cube with Mac OS 10.3.9

2) Highlight text in the received email message and drag to the Desktop.

3) Launch either AppleWorks 6 or NeoOffice and open a new word
processing document.

4) Drag the text clipping from the Desktop to the open document.

5) Using the word processing tools, convert the text to a table, then
delete the first column.

6) Open a new spreadsheet document, and copy/paste the table into the
spreadsheet. The resulting file has the formulas referenced to the
correct cells.

The above is faster to do than it may seem from the description.

Note that there are some functions in QFWorks that have different
names/functionality than those in other spreadsheet applications, so
some manual correction of the formulas may be needed. As an example, in
QFWorks, there is no direct equivalent that I have found to the 'COUNT'
function in the above-mentioned applications. There is a 'NUM'
function, but it returns the number of non-zero cells, not the number
of non-blank cells, as in the COUNT function.

HTH

  - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 1280MB, Mac OS X 10.3.9