Re: [NTLK] WiFi driver registration ... so, it's gone?

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 11:04:51 EDT

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> You mean, there's no chance of WiFi security on my Newt?
> :-o
> That's the first bad news about the Newton I've had so far...

   It's worse. There's a good chance that any given combination of card
and driver won't work with your base station. I checked my tenants'
linksys router (their's works, mine does not) to find out what the
difference was: Their's is an old 802.11b station whereas mine is a newer
802.11b/g. And when I say it doesn't work, I mean not even the link light
goes live.

   Further, the driver doesn't support WEP (as previously noted) and
hasn't been developed in over a year. No new card support, no bug fixes.
And, of course, no source since the author sold it as shareware. Now, it
is abandon-ware.

   I wonder what it would take to write a new wireless driver from
scratch. There's probably a good deal of code in the Linux and BSD kernels
that could be swiped for this purpose. Especially to document card
internals. --M