[NTLK] USB-serial bridge drivers for OS X

From: Dan K (dankephoto_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 05:57:37 PDT

was "Re: KeySpan USB Dongles for use with Newtons"

"L.W. Brown" <lwb_at_mac.com> wrote:
>Now I know the chips, but there's still no driver! I suppose a hardware
>guru could write a driver using the info from the link to the "kit"
>site at the below apple site, but - sad to say - `tis not I... :<

I musta missed where you mention the bridge chip ID, can you tell us
(again?)?

I've found OS X drivers for several USB-serial devices (all with no
'official' drivers), just gotta know the chip inside. (Even if one can't
open the adapter's case one can still probably get the bridge chip's ID
using System Profiler.)

There's only a limited number of chipsets out there, and several
_were/are_ used in Mac supported devices. Plus, some chip makers offer
Mac OS X drivers directly, so even the maker of the adapter itself may
not realize their device works just fine under OS X.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500