Re: [NTLK] Linux now a possibility?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 15:52:38 PDT

I agree...while it is probably possible to put a VW
Beetle engine in a Ferrari Testarossa, the question
has to be "why?" If it's just to say you did it(like
the beowolf cluster using Atari 800s
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000628.html)
then it's just for bragging rights..(which is an
infantile reason in and of its self)And I'm sure that
the massive effort will be, not suprisingly, ignored
by anybody with any sense in their head. For *some*
purposes, Linux isn't "all that"...really...a CLI for
a pure GUI OS? What's the point?
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Apostolos Koutropoulos <der_admiral_at_mac.com>
wrote:

> As someone else said: "Why?"
> and "just because we can" isn't a good answer ;-)
>
> In all seriousness, the reason to change your OS is
> because you dislike the
> current OS and you prefer linux, or because there
> are more apps.
>
> For most of us neither one is true. If we did not
> like the NOS we would not
> still be newton users, and on top of that if we did
> not have the apps that
> we needed to run our newtons, we would not still be
> newton users. Therefore
> there is no reason to port linux to the newton ;)

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial