Re: [NTLK] Re(2): Motorola Marco Wireless PDA (Apple Newton OS)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 14:37:00 PDT

That's interesting you should say that.
Back in the day, I had a GSM PC card that we managed
to get working in the Newton 2000. Unfortunatly, since
there was no GSM here in the States, we made contact
with a German guy at one of the Mobile conferences and
he agreed to take the Newton and the GSM card to
Germany to test. He reported that he was able to use
the Newton as a data device without a problem.
I used the 120 with a motorola KeepInTouch card all
the time to accept faxes and forward to rental agents.

Heck, I even got a MP2000 to communicate using a
Planet 1 satellite phone! That was used at one of the
artic scientific things...It was the one where that
scientist had to be airlifted our but the weather was
too bad...They used the MP2000 that I am using now!
The only thing I was not able to get a Newton to
communicate with was an Iridium satelite phone...No
cables available...I could have *really* used a
"dongle killer" then!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not just pair the MessagePad with a mobile phone
> and surf the web
> via gprs?
>
> Il giorno 27/set/05, alle ore 21:39, Moe ha scritto:
>
> Hey...! One can only dream ;-) But in all
> seriousness, if I could
> sign up for say one month, just to try it out and at
> least reminisce
> or something, I'd go for it!
>
> On 9/27/05, Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
> wrote:
>

> > Folks, seriously - you're not going to be using
> your Marco or
> > Newton Messaging
> > Cards anymore.

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

http://mail.yahoo.com