Re: [NTLK] Motorola Marco Wireless PDA (Apple Newton OS)

From: Moe (hugeu2fan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 23:18:42 PDT

Ed,

I don't post here often, but being an owner of the Envoy and a
contemporary user of the Datarover, MagicCap remains one of my most
favorite PDA OS's to this day. Just to correct a few misconceptions,
the Envoy had dual PCMCIA slots whereas the Marco had the -space- for
two, but only utilized one. They were your standard Type II PCMCIA
slots, but grouped side-by-side so you couldn't use any Type III's.=20
Also, they were a similar form factor, but the Envoy was landscape
only and the Marco was portrait only. The Sony PIC1000 was never
upgraded to include the Polaroid transflective LCD the Envoy 150 (or
upgraded 100) later obtained, however the PIC 2000 included a
beautiful backlight. Unfortunately, the Marco was never offered such
an upgrade by Motorola. As far as I (and Josh Carter, a Magic Cap
engineer/developer) know, no company supports or even offers legacy
support for the Envoy and Marco modems, which is a terrible shame.

While a bit off topic, Josh Carter's site is:
http://multipart-mixed.com/magiccap/ He offers wonderful information
and software for the MagicCap devices, but I suggest you read up on
the Envoy considering it's wireless modem and supported carriers was
identical to that of the Marco's. Also, equally off topic, if
MagicCap interests you at all, brand new Datarovers can be had on Ebay
for under $10 these days! I'd get one to add to a collection, if
anything.

Morris