Re: [NTLK] Tablet PC Newton

From: bill bennett (williamfrancisbennett_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 14:49:20 PDT

--- Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:

> We are all waiting for the other shoe to drop on the
> Einstein project
> which may allow for Newton to actually run on Linux
> based tablets (?).
>
> I am sure you can mod the interface to appear more
> like Newton
> depending which os it uses (XP most likely?).
>
> Crappy battery life though.

First, I wonder how closely the Tablet PC hardware is
tied to the special edition of Windows XP. If the OS
was built like Windows CE or Mobile or whatever MS is
calling it these days then the tie would be extremely
close.

My understanding is that the Tablet edition of Windows
is overlaid on top of everyday XP. So in principal
there shouldn't be a problem getting Linux to run on
Tablet hardware -- though of course there are likely
to be missing drivers and applications. This line of
thinking potentially turns to custard if there are any
proprietary MS hardware components in a Tablet PC.
Could that be the case?

Your second point about battery life is interesting. I
generally think of the Newton in terms of its software
and HWR. I've been taking the mobility battery life
thing for granted, so it's easy to forget how good the
Newton is on this score compared with, say, iPaq
handhelds.

Bill Bennett

I'm between Internet accounts
For the moment use this email: williamfrancisbennett_at_yahoo.com.au