Re: [NTLK] [OT] Safe Surfing, any comments?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 08:12:58 PDT

This seems like a lot of work...
Keep your always on connection and just use your
router's NATting feature to sheild yourself from
hackers...If you turn off remote administration and
enable a strong password, all the hackers will be able
to do is hit your WAN connection IP...A heck of a lot
easier and safer and more reliable.
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- John Hay <OceanCity_at_mac.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Note: always-on Internet connection***
> .....just as a side note, talk about the
> quintessence of simple design,
> besides all the careful systematic strategies,
> tactics, firewalls,
> filters in the world try this. Connect a simple 25
> hour lamp timer to
> your cable or DLS modem. Set the timer to shut "off"
> at say 3am when no
> one is using your computer and it's not doing auto
> nightly backups or
> anything, then set it to come back on at 3:15 or so.
> This will force
> your Internet modem to reboot every 24 hours without
> interrupting your
> workflow, thus loosing your assigned DHCP IP address
> and renewing the
> connection with a NEW one. Now, after all the hacker
> crawlers have
> culled all the IP addresses using their utility
> software to scan for
> zero to 255 and all the octets between, when they
> come back the next day
> to hack into your computer it won't be there any
> more because your IP
> address has changed. "Disregard that man behind the
> curtain." -The
> Wizard of Oz (1939),
> <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/goofs>
> Cinematic Goofs on celluloid.

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/