Re: [NTLK] [OT] Dell to Acquire Apple

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 06:11:49 PDT

You are telling me that Jobs wants to give up success? After having
turned down a position as the head of Disney ... What is he gonna do
with his time? Mail sail boats?
Apple has $8.26 dollars in cash plus its assets ... Honestly I don't
think Dell has the leverage to make a hostile purchase. Apple is in
not state to desire a friendly merger.

Besides their cash holdings, Mac sales just rose 38% in the last
year, iPod sales something like 280%, Apple had $14 billion in
revenue with something like a $1.3 billion profit. This quarter ended
the most fiscally successful quarter and year in the history of Apple
Computer, Inc. Dell's stock is sitting at around $33/share (just
above its 52-week low of $31.54) and Apple's is at $53/share (just
below its 52-week high of $53.35) with most analysts expecting Apple
to hit a target of around $65 in the foreseeable future.

In comparison Dell only has $9.05 billion in cash to support a buyout
with. Also, Apple has $9.955/share cash on hand while Dell can only
cover $3.773/share with their current savings meaning that even with
Apple's dramatically higher stock, Apple has a far better ability to
support their stock's price with cash on hand by holding nearly 20%
in cash while Dell holds only about 10%.

And if ya doubt my suggestion that Apple would have no desire for a
friendly merger ... they do *control* the digital music business
right now and with their computer sales growing nearly 40% ... I
guess I don't see the motivation to sell. Lastly, the decision to
sell Apple doesn't belong to Jobs ...

Just a couple facts to throw in with the silly rumor.

David