Re: [NTLK] Defragging Newton

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 08:01:15 PDT

Woody Smith wrote:
> At some point in the recent past (year or so) there was a thread
> regarding harm to flash cards when resetting. Seems that there may
> be voltage spikes when the Newt restarts that may harm some cards
> see
> < http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=107262071509460&w=2
> for a more or less random hit in that thread
>
> Seems that if there was a consensus, (and I'm sure there wasn't) it
> was to remove memory cards prior to resetting.
>
> Woody

Yes, but it depends on the card. The apple branded cards are fine, as
well as many others. Some cards however are labeled "remove before
restart/reset" in the manual (I believe Pretec's cards was one to watch
out for). Those you want to remove before hand. Basically if you are
not sure, don't press the reset button. Another method is to use a
software reset package (like tapbar, sleep aid, etc). This should avoid
the problem. However to be *absolutely* safe you should remove cards
before pressing the reset button, and DEFIANTLY before you do a hard
(brain wipe) reset.

-Dan