[NTLK] Top Organizer Apps [was Standalone]

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 03:40:56 PDT

As far as I know the top PIMs for the Newton are TimeTrax, MoreInfo, and
Dateman, all of which are arguable in the same best-of-breed class, but
having paid for and register them all, then field-testing each one to
the max I am decidedly convinced that TimeTrax [which by the way was not
the most costly in price] is by FAR the most well though-out and
implemented in its class.

To me the acquisition cost is immaterial and insignificant compared to
the actual true TCO and value thereof. In the end, as with the case of
PhotoShop I would gladly pay the going rate as determined by the free
market, which by definition must be a bargain to the seller and the
buyer alike.

It has taken me almost 3 MONTHS to properly evaluate the 3 above
mentioned contenders for my needs as a mission critical day-to-day
workhorse application to handle primarily my calendaring functions in
the best possible manner. After pressure testing all 3 of these truly
wonderful applications, I have settled decisively on TimeTrax. For me
anyway it was the CLEAR winner. It is bulletproof, exhaustedly well
designed to the n'th degree, the same way PhotoShop is. No stone was
left unturned by these German programmers. Even the manual is so
concisely crafted as to waste no word, yet provide a plethora of
insight. Is was practically an epiphany to me when I was for all
practical purposes convinced I would gladly settle on DateMan or
MoreInfo when it was suggested by a member on THIS LIST that I look at
TimeTrax and I am so grateful that I took their advice to look at
TimeTrax. I looked back in my PowerMail items for the list member who
thankfully tipped me off to TimeTrax but could not find the email,
however you know who you are and I am eternally grateful.

I can not emphasize enough the leap in design which TimeTrax went to in
developing their application. It's one of those things where you
continually are forced to marvel at the depth of it's purity in design
and implementation, the same as PhotoShop, it is to me anyway the de
facto standard by which others can only hope to measure up to but never
will. You won't understand what I mean unless, like Jimi Hendrix once
lyriced "are you experienced" what I mean. Like his music, TimeTrax will
always be one of those timeless icons if you are willing to just try
your best to find and be the best you can be.

If you are concerned by the acquisition cost [looking only at the up-
front investment in time or money] then I can only suggest you consider
the TCO [total cost of ownership] which in almost all cases is a far
greater expense than the initial day-one investment. Like gas vs.
electric heat, one costs more to install and one cost less to operate.
In the case of TimeTrax the final irony is that is was about HALF the
cost of one of the other two I paid for. I paid for all three knowing
that even the total cost of just the acquisition would pale to the long-
term cost/benefit of my final decision which application to use. In my
case I have chosen TimeTrax. For me it's value results in its
performance and efficiency, not at all unlike the Newton itself. I can
honestly say I would gladly JUMP at the chance to pay five hundred
dollars for TimeTrax, an application in my opinion unequalled by its
peers. For you, the final choice may vary depending on your actual
needs, but the icing on the cake is that to the best of my knowledge all
3 of these top contenders, TimeTrax, MoreInfo, and Dateman even have
FREE demo downloads. How could you possibly ask for anything more?

Now it's up to you to do your homework and test as needed these truly
well crafted pieces of program engineering. As for cost, would you
rather pay a dollar for a bag of sawdust of a hundred dollars for a bag
of diamonds?

John

10/5/05 Paul Jerry issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?