[NTLK] eMate question

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 18:24:54 PDT

A few quick, really dumb questions. I know all the fancy statistics are
clearly posted in the UNNA archives and have seen them, very well
documented. My questions regard an eMate 300 HO208 that I picked up on
eBay out of curiosity.

What I'm now wondering is:

1. How close or similar could I configure an eMate so the screen would
look like that of a Newton 2x00 with the silk screen area, as it would
appear this functionality was removed from the screen on the eMates and
replaced by keys on the keyboard. Can the Newton control bar be put back
into an eMate?

2. Is there a way to supercharge an eMate's memory to perform at or near
the levels of the 2x00 series?

3. Is the eMate's built in keyboard the same as a Newton external
keyboard in terms of it's pin-outs and wiring, i.e., if I wanted to
replace the eMate's screen with the entire guts of a Newton 2000 or 2100
[assumming that is I could find a way for all the pieces to fit in the
eMate case somehow] and then wire the eMate keyboard to the newly
installed Newton would the two be compatible, anyone know?

TIA, John