Re: [NTLK] A new eMate in the offing?

From: Tyler Regas (tyler_at_pdahandyman.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 16:48:47 PST

Then it must be the software you run. I've speedily run 10.2.8 on a Pismo
G3/400 with 256MBs of RAM and a 6GB drive by carefully selecting what I run.
This means sticking mostly to built-in applications. The darn thing even
plays DVDs nicely :) I now have another Pismo with a G4/550 upgrade, 1GB of
RAM, and a 60GB drive and I very comfortably run 10.4.3 with numerous 3rd
party applications.

A trimmer version of Mac OS X with some streamlined applications and some
notable missing items (i.e., iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD) which are known hogs
would present a wonderful interface for school children. Cover the LCD with
plexi like on a Game Boy and shockmount the HDD, and its on like Donkey
Kong, folks!

Tyler