Re: [NTLK] exporting from Newton to a Mac

From: Don V. Zahniser (irntooth_at_eznet.net)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 13:43:34 PDT

I posted some tips about this on NTLK in the past couple of months, in
which I described emailing a simple spreadsheet to my Mac, and then
formatting for use in an AppleWorks SS. However, that method has
potential problems with extraneous end-of-line terminations added by mail
programs and servers. I recently tested another method, as follows:

1) Installed the Desktop utility on the Newton, which provides a
transport that is available under the envelope menu to send an item "to
the desktop". You use text capture from a terminal application to
receive the data into the PC/Mac. The docs also say that you can use
Slurpee to capture the text file.

2) "Sent" the NewtonWorks spreadsheet "to the desktop" and received it
into my computer. The resulting text file has the formulas embedded as text.

3) Stripped off the leading tab character using find/replace in a text
editor or word processor (manually, or with find/replace paragraph/tab
with just paragraph - do the first line tab character manually).

4) Drag and drop (or insert) the text file into the spreadsheet.

I have only done this into AppleWorks on my Mac, and into Excel 2000 on a
PC. On the Mac, I had better luck doing the tab-stripping within
AppleWorks, due to file type/creator translation issues from another text
editor.

Oh, yes - there are some functions in NewtonWorks that do not directly
translate to something understandable in AppleWorks. The one that I did
run into was 'num' in NewtonWorks, which needs to be changed to 'count'
in AW. You can do that directly in AW SS or when it is still a text file.

HTH...

--
Don V. Zahniser
PB1400/133MHz; 64Mb RAM; MacOS 8.6