Re: [NTLK] Charging NiMH batteries

From: Newton (newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 14:49:54 PDT

> True in general it is. However batteries can still overheat,=20
> like Nimh and can explode=20
...which happened to me lately. I bought 4 2500mA NiMH cells and =
inserted
them in my modified battery tray. There they functioned several days =
like
any other cell. But one day in the office I've connected my MP2k1 to the =
9W
PS and after about 15min I heared a funny noise originating from my =
Newton -
more exactly from the battery try. Beside that smoke came off the Newton
case !!! :-(
I immediately removed the battery tray and found one cell being very hot =
and
getting think. I quickly removed that cell and put it into a plasic bag =
quench (or trap - what's the better expression?) the parts if it =
explodes.
But the cell was hot during about 15min, probably due to an internal =
short
circuit, and coolded down later, having 0 Volts in the very end.=20

This happened all during normal charging of a normal cell in a totally
functioning Newton and the charging circuitry reduced the charging =
current
to zero as the very one cell became hot. All as it should be...

Marco