Re: [NTLK] Charging NiMH batteries

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 13:36:28 PDT

Bruce Guthrie wrote:
> slow charge is the safest. has been ever since I was a kid, of courser that
> was long ago. along time ago.

True in general it is. However batteries can still overheat, like Nimh
and can explode (nicads rarely do on a slow charger but charging
continuously will make their life shorter). You really need a charger
that is designed for Nimh and will shut off when the batteries are full.
  This will make the batteries last longer and greatly reduces the risk
that they will explode or leak.

Also batteries charged slowly will in general last longer than those
always quick charged. But again with Nimh you really should use a
charger designed for them and shuts off when they are done. Considering
that you can find such chargers for AA for $10 (usually less), I would
go that route.

-Dan