Re: [NTLK] Is Newton Press "Classic Format" OK for 2x00 and eMates?

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 12:44:20 PDT

On May 21, 2005, at 8:40 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>> First, I will have to finish replacing some graphics that are
>> (apparently) too big for an eBook (they show up blank).
>
> Uh, they should "auto-fit" with a scroll-toggle. You got 'em blank?

Auto-fit with a scroll-toggle? What is 'Auto-fit'? Is that specific to
the 2x00? Can you send me a screenshot? I'd love to see that. On my
120, I get scroll arrows and I am only able to scroll images (right,
left, down and up) that are larger than the screen size.

With Appendix F illustrations, when I (first) flip to those pages, the
page appears blank but still offering the scroll control. Only after I
tap a scroll arrow, the images then suddenly, magically, appear as
normal. This doesn't exactly meet the perfectionist's standard.

I'll be able to fix this problem by cutting the 8 pages of
illustrations into 30 some odd separate chunks. Luckily, this section
is OK to cut into smaller pictures without changing the intention of
the originals.

>> I have a couple of questions:
>>
>> Has anyone (with a 2100 or eMate) downloaded it and taken a look at
>> it?
>
> Yes, and it looks good. Esp. all the work you've had with all those
> links - incredible!

Cool...

> The only possible improvements I see would be 12 pt font size and
> grayscale illustrations in a 2k portrait format. ;=}

Yes, when I reformat the eBook for the 2k, I will be changing it to 12
pt. With the Classic version, the 12 point was too large for some of
the detailed information and tables so I went with 10pt. It also made
it feel more like a real textbook, instead of a bloated page of text.

Grayscale, maybe on a few images. I've already converted and stored all
of the graphics separately as 4 bit (16 shades of gray) in expectation
of doing a 2k version. The grayscale images do look great, but I'm
afraid it may quadruple the size of the book. It's already at 2MB. Can
you imagine having to load the book on your 2100 and then having to
occupy 8MB of flash space? Not good...I'll be shooting myself in the
foot as far as a Newton eBook publisher. I think 2MB is a good goal as
far as size...but we'll have to wait and see.

>> I went with the Classic format over Universal because it was wider and
>> allowed better formatting of tables.
>
> Makes much sense for me. 2k Portrait would even make more sense to me.
> ;=}

OK I'm convinced, but don't expect it tomorrow or the next day ;-)

>> I could take some time in the
>> future and massage the formatting into other formats, unless it's not
>> necessary.
>
> Uh, I don't want to sound bossy and stuff, but pls. let me hustle, beg,
> pray and wheeze you into doing MP2k portrait (probably the most
> favorite Newton format for reading ebooks) and eMate landscape, too, at
> least.

But, would you be willing to wait?

> Oh, and while I'm being pushy and annoying, pls. make that grayscale
> images, too... unless the illustration is only a line drawing.

It's a wait and see on that one. (more waiting?)

> One day
> you'll get yerself a 2k and you'll be glad to have the book in that
> format (it's what happened to me after I'd started making books for my
> MP 130 -- then some time later I get this rare Dr. Gruendelstein MP
> 2g00, and wished I had all my first book editions also done in
> 2k-formats...).

That's what you keep saying...but I REALLY like the 120 and 130! And,
to be honest, I'll probably wait for Apple's new PDA which means,
(guess what?) we'll have to wait and see. :-)

> Hmh, or maybe if the original graphic material is wider than high, it
> might make sense to prefer 2k landscape over 2k portrait.

I'll play around with it later this week.

>> Thanks for any input...
>
> Uh, most welcome, and apologies for the hustle.

And thanks again!

> Yer ole pal
>
> 'Kasko
>
> P.S.: In case it didn't get clear enough -- I'm really impressed BIG
> TIME with the effort you've put in there! Gotta think up something nice
> to meet this bid of yours...

My actual intentions are to show that there is no limit to what you can
do with a Newton eBook, at the same time, set some new standards for
quality of workmanship. How'd I do?

Ron

--
Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET