[NTLK] Is Newton Press "Classic Format" OK for 2x00 and eMates?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 08:40:56 PDT

Subject: [NTLK] Is Newton Press "Classic Format" OK for 2x00 and
eMates?
From: RAParker <RAParker () Quadzilla ! NET>
Date: 2005-05-20 18:06:07

>I'll be releasing the final (distributable) version of the U.S. Army
>Field Manual (Reading Maps & Land Navigation) later this weekend.

Great!

>First, I will have to finish replacing some graphics that are
>(apparently) too big for an eBook (they show up blank).

Uh, they should "auto-fit" with a scroll-toggle. You got 'em blank?

>I have a couple of questions:
>
>Has anyone (with a 2100 or eMate) downloaded it and taken a look at it?

Yes, and it looks good. Esp. all the work you've had with all those
links - incredible!
The only possible improvements I see would be 12 pt font size and
grayscale illustrations in a 2k portrait format. ;=}

>Will the "Classic Format" also work on all Newtons?

Yes, but possibly not on the eMate in landscape. Universal fits all
formats, which means all Newts in all orientations. I think that's not
really necessary -- Classic, MP2x00 portrait and eMate landscape should
serve us all well enough (still, I almost always create all 8 formats
to please even the most absurd tastes... which means Universal and
eMate portrait to me).

>I went with the Classic format over Universal because it was wider and
>allowed better formatting of tables.

Makes much sense for me. 2k Portrait would even make more sense to me.
;=}

>I could take some time in the
>future and massage the formatting into other formats, unless it's not
>necessary.

Uh, I don't want to sound bossy and stuff, but pls. let me hustle, beg,
pray and wheeze you into doing MP2k portrait (probably the most
favorite Newton format for reading ebooks) and eMate landscape, too, at
least.
Oh, and while I'm being pushy and annoying, pls. make that grayscale
images, too... unless the illustration is only a line drawing. One day
you'll get yerself a 2k and you'll be glad to have the book in that
format (it's what happened to me after I'd started making books for my
MP 130 -- then some time later I get this rare Dr. Gruendelstein MP
2g00, and wished I had all my first book editions also done in
2k-formats...).

Hmh, or maybe if the original graphic material is wider than high, it
might make sense to prefer 2k landscape over 2k portrait.

>Thanks for any input...

Uh, most welcome, and apologies for the hustle.

Yer ole pal

'Kasko

P.S.: In case it didn't get clear enough -- I'm really impressed BIG
TIME with the effort you've put in there! Gotta think up something nice
to meet this bid of yours...