[NTLK] [Q] How to format Linear Flash Card with frizzed index?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 00:41:00 PDT

Was: Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----
From: "Paul Curtis (Nations One Mortgage)" <MicroSSG () Comcast !
net>
Date: 2005-05-11 1:18:35

>>So: How can I get Newton-storage card recognized in a Powerbook so I
=20 can
>>completely reformat the card? Is there anywhere a tool for such =20
>>card-formatting?

I did a data restore on the card, and something seems to have gone
wrong:

When I insert the card in my Newton, it tries to activate the packages
and then stalls (always at different packages). ;=(
When I insert it in my PowerBook (OS 10.3.9, latest sec. updates,
etc.), nothing happens at all. ;={
When I insert it in my vintage Toshiba 4850CT, Win 98 advises me that a
storage card has been inserted, but the card doesn't even show in the
Explorer...

So with onboard means this doesn't seem to be adressable, no? Or maybe
from the command line? Or are there even any cool Newton tricks, like
how I can avoid package activation when inserting the card, that would
then let me allow to completely wipe it?

>I have always wondered/wanted this. To my knowledge, which only dates
back
>to 1997 for the Newton's I haven't heard of this animal. One of those
often
>talked about programs...

There was a prog for this? Or was that just a SoftwareWish (TM)?

>When I insert them into MS Win Pro, I only get a "New Device Detected"
and
>when I abort the driver install and explore, there is nothing.

'Xactly.

>Maybe under Linux?

Don't know why I should have to use Linux if I have a BSD-flavor Unix
(= Mac OSX). I guess I just lack the command-line prowess required for
this job. Or the proper utility/tool.

All help appreciated.

'Kasko