Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth and internet question

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 11:56:54 PDT

On May 10, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Zoont Foomby wrote:

> To the people that have gotten surfing the internet over Bluetooth
> from their Newton working:
I have used the internet via my bluetooth cell phone only.

> Did you get it working using a remote serial port service on your
> laptop/desktop with Bluetooth, or via the "LAN over PPP" offered by
> your computer?
Neither see above: Bluetooth isn't a TCP/IP interface, so the LAN
over PPP thing doesn't seem likely to work in my mind, as the
bluetooth newton isn't on your "LAN". I think you need to implement
PPP over a bluetooth serial link, or manually configure one.

> My laptop provides two options for network connectivity, one is a
> serial port and one is LAN over PPP. I have been trying for a week now
> to get LAN over PPP to work, and have had tiny amounts of
> semi-success, but not enough to actually surf the web with it. It
> seems that I could probably have gotten the serial port connection
> working by now, but it is much slower than a LAN over PPP setup.
Not really. BT is going to be the bottleneck in this case. When I use
it to transfer files from the powerbook, 4K is by far the fastest speed
witnessed, and that was a fluke or misestimate.

> I think most people have gotten Bluetooth internet access working from
> a Mac as well. Does the Mac offer LAN over PPP?
Not in some option like XP. Only through *nix tinkering.
> I'm coming from
> Windows XP Bluetooth support.
Sorry about that, why not use your native linux instead?

Marty