Re: [NTLK] Newton Resetting

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 15:52:46 PST

> Maybe it is the Reset plunger? I've noticed
> that to be defective and sometime need to be
> cleaned out or checked out to see that it
> and the guide are not deformed. Not sure how
> people deform it but this has fixed some Newtons
> I've worked on.

I just dug out the four boards I have that show
the same symptoms. This isn't a mechanical problem,
and it is NOT the reset switch. It is some hardware
defect that makes the Newton THINK the reset button
is pressed although actually it isn't.

Dr. Newton lists this very defect on his web site as
the consequence of having connected a wrong AC adapter.

If any of you can make him disclose information
on how to fix this particular defect, I'll send you
a 2100 at my expense. And I'd be perfectly willing to
pay Dr. Newton a reasonable percentage of my
(usually negligible) profit if I can fix a Newton
based on his info.

Frank