Re: [NTLK] Newton resetting

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 05:45:59 PST

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:35:15 +0200, Frank Gruendel
<newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de> wrote:
> In cases like this I have found that the most
> reliable results can be obtained by trying things
> out. I pressed the reset button on my 2100 and
> kept it pressed, and, lo and behold, the Newton
> powers up and restarts in a loop.

Gosh!, I have been so busy I didn't even try that.
I must be a lousy Newton Repair Person to not have tested that! :(
(I just tested this out for myself.)
Though my two and a half year old was a bit of a handful at the time
might have something to do with distracting me from focusing on the
issue. ;)

> If this is in fact your problem, I can fix your
> Newton for free. I have some organ donator boards
> that could be convinced to part with a reset button.

Maybe it is the Reset plunger? I've noticed that to be defective and
sometime need to be cleaned out or checked out to see that it and the
guide are not deformed. Not sure how people deform it but this has
fixed some Newtons I've worked on. I'm short on donor boards and would
have to take a look see into my box to see what I do have before
offering to do this repair.

Might I suggest that you test this Newton (since you already have
opened it up - following Frank's excellent guide) without the back
cover on . This way you can eliminate the possibility of it being the
Reset plunger. Then while test this you can press on the reset button
on the motherboard to see if you feel the tactile click and sound -
this would give you a decent indication if the switch were back.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung