Re: [NTLK] A return after a long pause

From: mwittmann_at_maine.edu
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 05:47:18 PST

Thanks for all the replies from my first post. Quick comments back:

I haven't had to use newtSync's addressbook feature because I don't really use
it on the Newton anymore. Years ago, I dumped all the Names into Claris
Organizer, then upgraded the data file through various forms of Palm, and
imported them into OS X Addressbook. These days, I just need names (for adding
to meetings and such) but I don't do much communication/email/phone calling
from my Newton. Most of the names are the same, years later, and I can add new
information on the Newt if I really need it. So that saves me from the
addressbook hassles I've watched others have.

About ebooks - I think it's great to have them all in one place. For the moment,
just download them and enjoy. I did send the Medieval Europe on to the other
person who has access to the ebook library, whose name I forget (DJ_Vall....).
It should be posted already, he said, though there were permission problems.
The ones on my web site, well, they're there. I'd format them differently these
days. I put a ton of things into Paperback format, but I really doubt that
people are interested in papers on educational psychology, physics education
research, and so on. They're just quick reading, no figures, which doesn't
bother me most of the time.

Other replies:

> Newtons can use the foldable keyboard BTW. Kinda neat. :D

They can? How? I'd love to find out, because the Newton keyboard is SO LOUD and
unusable in public. The foldable keyboard I have (for a Clie) is getting zero
use. My wife has the Clie now, but has no use for the keyboard. Yet.

> But these days are more fun I think. Mp3, Mods, wireless, etc

There are a few things I haven't gotten my Newton to do. The mp3 craze makes
more sense on my iPod, and I don't have the flash memory to load a song,
anyway. Wireless would be awesome, but like I said above, I barely use the
communication technology on the Newton. It's a calendar and task organizer for
me, along with a supremely good note taking program that lets me keep a long
history of notes. I used to use NewtDB for a few things, but have stopped that,
too. Dates and Notes, they rock. Downloading the text files of Notes using
newtSync and using the file browsing feature of a program like TextWrangler
even gives me the easy ability to browse my files on the desktop.

So I'm enjoying the Newton. A LOT. And can't wait to see what happens with
Einstein and the move ot other hardware. I'd love to make an iBook Tablet
(there was a website that showed how a guy did it), but I wonder if Ink on OS X
is enough. The Newton OS (gestures beyond Rosetta) is what makes this such a
special machine...

Michael