[NTLK] A return after a long pause

From: Michael C. Wittmann (mwittmann_at_maine.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 11:12:26 PST

Hi, all,

I have returned to the Newton after many years away. Moved to a Palm,
loved that it fit in my pocket, nobody teased me about using it...
Ended up not liking that Palm, even though the foldable keyboard was
neat and synchronization was awesome. Graffiti and that small screen
weren't doing it for me, and I slowed down my use... (usual story for a
returning Newton user, I suppose, so I'll stop now).

I should point out that the reason I am back on the Newton is the Wired
article from a few months back. It got me reading up on what was around
these days (dude! the Einstein project! wow!), which is when I found
out about nSync. This utility is the real reason I am back on board.
Thank you, to all who have been involved in its creation!

Anyway, I've been reading the mailing list for a while, online. It's
pretty slick, but I haven't been able to post. So here I am. I bought a
backup 2000, bought 2 eMates (one for my daughter who is starting to
type... but I get the one with the implant, not her!), and that's that.

Just wanted to make a quick announcement...

If you go to
<http://newted.dyndns.org/users/mikele/newton.htm>
then you can find a few books that I made a while back. I haven't even
checked them to see how they are formatted, but I used to prefer plain
text books made with "Paperback" so that's most likely what they are.
Download them and enjoy. The stuff by Sokal is probably pretty
esoteric, but it's hysterical if you know what it's about.

Finally, a question: I really like the idea of using TapBar. I saw
Eckart Koeppen's minibar, which adds some really great buttons to
TapBar, while also getting rid of the button bar. Is there a way to get
those buttons while KEEPING the button bar? I'm not a programmer, so I
haven't the faintest idea where to start. Just curious, basically.

Anyway, it's nice to see the old community changed so much (so many
gone, so many new), but it's great to see the activity still going on.

Michael Wittmann in Bangor, Maine, USA.