Re: [NTLK] Newton and Yahoo E-mail (SMTP problem)

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 19:12:57 PST

On Mar 15, 2005, at 3:02 PM, Adam Ladds wrote:
<snip>
> I have personally sent mail from simplemail using my MP2100 and the
> yahoo SMTP server.
Recently?

> The reason it can't receive mail from yahoo is because (I think) it
> tries to log on using APOP or IMAP not POP (I think this because it
> says -ERR popgate unknown command when you try to connect with it (that
> is, simplemail connecting to the yahoo pop mail server)).
None of the above has anything whatsoever to do with sending mail, as
neither POP nor IMAP is relevent.

SMTP (simple message transfer protocol) is the server that handles
outgoing mail.

According to Simons post here (He is the author of simplemail and Mail
V) the error from the Yahoo SMTP server was due to that lack of TLS
encryption for the authentication process.

This means that Yahoo's SMTP server want's the users to tell it who
they are, via an encryption method that is not available on the Newton.

If you know a way to configure Yahoo's SMTP server not to require this
(ie plain text authentication) then it could work. Perhaps Yahoo
recently changed to this setup?

> cheers
>
> Adam
>

> --
> inquiries
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

If you hear it fear it, if you see it flee it.