Re: [NTLK] [OT] Future Apple PDA? poll.

From: Adamson_at_aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 13:46:05 PST

I think for the most part I agree with you David. Who buys PDA's? I do.
The reason is that I have adult ADHD and I function much better with organized
information at my fingertips. Here is my dilemma though. I bought 3
Newtons in November of 97, 5 months later, Newton was no more. I am a user not a
techie. I appreciate the knowledge on this list and admit that I have
improved my life by taking some of the advice freely give here. I went through
Handspring Visors, numerous models of iPacs, a Treo, and my latest was a Palm
based Kyocera cell phone. All of these devices failed to meet my expectations.
I think that they may have failed because they tried to adapt a current
operating system to whatever device they created. In the Newtons case the
operating system was specific and newly designed for the handheld device. Now from
my standpoint most of these devices failed because it was too difficult for
me to get information into the system as quickly as possible. Newton
succeeded for me because it recognizes my handwriting and converts it to text
easily. I may be the rare bird who writes clearly, but I get very near 100%
accuracy. Nothing else came close. I hate Graffiti. Carrying around a keyboard
works sometimes, but nothing beats the elegance of opening the cover and
writing right on the screen. Newtons fail me too, though. For a handheld device
to truly be functional it needs to sync with my computers seamlessly.
Unfortunately, this is not one of the Newton's strong points. As the computers
operating systems continue to evolve it becomes harder and harder for the
workarounds to work.

What would I want in a PDA today that I do not have with the Newton? A
color screen, more power (urh, urh, urh in my best Tim Allen impression), more
memory, slightly smaller form factor ( I like to write on the big screen of a
newton but it could probably be slightly smaller and still feel large), a
dedicated team to update the device as technology changes, and an integrated
phone would be nice but not necessary. Phones are small enough today to not make
a difference in carrying the PDA and a phone. I do not need mp3's but some
music would be nice. I do not need video or a camera. I do need reliability,
which with the exception of syncing the Newton has. So I guess what I am
saying is the world would be a perfect place if the Newton were resurrected and
updated.

Bob Adamson

n a message dated 3/13/2005 1:20:46 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,