Re: [NTLK] [OT] Future Apple PDA? poll.

From: Alex Santos (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 13:41:38 PST

That sounds interesting David. Sounds like a convergence or not
question. I agree, it is unfortunate that Apple dropped out as there
was a vision. Honestly though, I know very little about other PDAs so I
can't really compare.
With this in mind I can only tell you my needs. I would love a device
that syncs well with OSX and I am sure PC users would like connectivity
as well. From there, a PDA should come with tools like the Newton had,
I guess a basic suite of software. Should they be killer apps? What
does the average user who might buy a PDA actually find he could use?
It depends of course, so there should be some flexibility or middle
road. Something for everyone.

I don't have a mobile phone, had three or four during my time. They are
useful, but as far as mobiles go, the screen is the deciding factor in
terms of dictating it's usefulness beyond it's initial purpose. I
wouldn't want a phone to do anything else but make and receive calls
along with a phone or calculator. I for one never understood how people
can type on a phone pad to send SMS's. Just my opinion, so of course I
agree with you in some ways. However, I could appreciate something the
size of Newton incorporating phone capabilities, it would just be a
bonus. And hand written SMS's would just be more natural to me. But
that's my opinion, of course you may disagree.

I would love a device with a mic suited for dictaphone capabilities,
everyone should have a voice recorder. Andy Warhol would have loved
that. But seriously, it would be really useful and surpass note taking
in many respects. But then I am sure an iPod can handle that sort of
thing just fine thank you.

If for a moment we consider an OSX device the size of the Newton then
we are talking about a sub-notebook device with tremendous
possibilities, especially if a pen and HWR is thrown in to the
equation. It would be the iBooks sibling, but it would need some sort
of killer app.

I don't know, but this latest attempt by Apple to silence PowerPage?
and other Blogs has me scratching my head. So what, Apple may or may
not be coming out with new hardware, I think the software is the key to
the hardware. Perhaps this is what Apple is afraid may happen.

An interesting trend I have observed is Apple's current fascination
with making ever smaller devices as you cleverly pointed out, with
clear focus. It will be interesting to see the software.

I am sure most would agree that once Apple focuses on a product they
can create quite a stir, it's definitely in their history, and whether
some of us like it or not, Steve Jobs has been there. The Newton is a
sad exception. It was a great idea and as you pointed out remains a
good idea, but without focus.

Thanks David for your incites.