Re: [NTLK] Before The Newton Community Fades

From: Tyler Regas (tyler_at_pdahandyman.com)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 09:15:47 PDT

There is simply no feasible way a community can grow when the key
element to the existence of that community is no longer developed.
Sure, we can write new software and hack together new hardware for
the existing Newtons, but its becoming crystal clear that we will
never see another Newton source from Apple. Even if Apple did produce
a new handheld device, you can be assured that it would be written
from the ground up.

So yes, I think the Newton community is fading. This doesn't mean I
abandon ship! Hell, I've had my MP130 since I purchased it new in
1997. I now own an eMate 300 and MP2000 as well. I love the Newton's
and I likely always will. Reality dictates, however, that I will be
one of an ever shrinking minority. I hope to god to see Newtonian's
praising the Green in 2015, but it won't be so many unless Apple
starts offering a handheld again. Even then, though, the Newton group
will be small.

Regarding the links issue, I do not agree that it will be daunting.
Its not complicated to script a PHP link scanner which automatically
checks links for access every day. This I will do because I love the
Newt. I look forward to being one of the few who still believe in the
Newton 10 years after its untimely demise.