Re: [NTLK] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Newton (newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 16:01:15 PDT

> Whatever method employed to stop this from being done will=20
> likely be highly artificial since the hardware will be=20
> essentially identical.
But at the moment the hardware is completely different. Intel=3DCISC,
Apple=3DRISC - okay if it's an X OS (LINUX,UNIX,MACOSX) probably the =
switch is
not so very difficult because UNIX has a clearly defined hardware
abstraction layer. But then it is again Apple which did well - at first
switching from CISC to RISC by means of an CISC emulator for the RISC =
chip
and now by a new HAL (hardware abstraction layer) in their OSX. Probably =
is
it possible to compile any UNIX or LINUX source on MACOSX w/o much =
changes.
Thus finally MacOSX is simply a new desktop for a kernel an not much =
more
and it will not take long time until we'll have to install virus and =
system
updates each day. :-(

Marco