Re: [NTLK] Question on Newton MP2100 connectivity

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt (Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 01:26:15 PDT

At 05:45 27.07.2005, you wrote:
>Hi There,
>I am new to Newton OS and just got hold a MP2100 for myself.
>I need some advice.
>What is my option to connect my MP2100 to a WinXP PC?

To do this in style, you will have to use an ethernet card and approriate=
 drivers
and Newton programs:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/

You will have to download and install Basilisk, peferably with Victor=
 Rehorsts
modifications:

http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/WindowsConnection

http://www.unna.org/unna/development/NewtonDev/

Victor's Basilisk is needed to emulate a System 7 Apple Macintosh on your
XP machine, containing a program called NCU that can connect to the ethernet
card in your Newton. And after some fiddling, coaxing and configuring,=
 voil=E0:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/18493316/

If you want to spare yourself the ethernet trouble, you can go serial.=
 Because
there is a version of NCU that runs on WinXP without emulations and such.
But then you'll need the dreaded serial dongle

http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/AboutDongles

(somewhat hard to come by), and you will have to slow down your XP-machine.
I did it with a dubiously named but well working soft called CPUkiller:

http://www.cpukiller.com/

Syncing, backup and installation of packages (Newton lingo for software)
work well enough the serial way. Even a bit more stable but with ethernet,=
 but=20
it's slooow. Because your machine has been slowed down to a speed standard=
=20
from the mid-nineties, you won't be able to do anythign else while the=
 connection=20
with your Newton is on.=20

After havingf it done both ways, I'd say try ethernet. A bit tedious, but=
 still worth
it. Someone on the list said he's looking to improve things for XP users=
 with
a native XP Syncing solution. I'm looking forward to that very much.

Best,

Marcus

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/high.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/