Re: [NTLK] Lots of notes!

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 15:57:29 PST

* Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> [28 Jan 2005 06:52]:
> Steven Frank wrote:
> > I was just idly wondering about the upper limits of the Notes
> > application... Does it gradually slow down as you add more and more
> > notes? Does anyone have thousands of notes who can comment on the
> > speed?
>
> Usually it's the size of the note that starts to slow things down, not
> really the amount of notes. Back when I was taking notes in
> university once I got past five or six portrait-size pages of text,
> things would start to slow down...

I have noticed the same thing. I had a 6Mb card that held, before I
exported them and removed them from my newt, approximately 3.5 Mb of
just notepad data - my class notes. (Their exported/RTF size was closer
to 15MB!) The only time I noticed it slowing down was when I was working
in a single note that was getting "too big".

However, if you don't have BigNotes installed, the newton will never let
you make notes big enough to slow the system down. Unfortunately, the
newton has a hard limit with no soft limit warning, and I found it
incredibly frustrating to be in the middle of some complicated diagram
and have the newton tell me I couldn't add anything more to it, as the
prof kept on drawing... I installed BigNotes within a couple of weeks of
buying my Newton :-)

"Too big" is a fuzzy concept, especially if you're mixing sketches,
shapes and/or ink text with text. With all four modes, I found, as
Victor did, that after about 4 screenfuls I really wanted to make a new
note. With just text, about 6-7 screenfuls seemed to be a good time to
make a new note, although I did make a few notes with 10 or more screens
full of text - usually when I was on a roll and not noticing much of
anything :-)

(As an interesting aside, the NotesWordCount program showed me that in
12pt Casual, the newton font I use almost exclusively in my notes, the
newton fits almost exactly 100 words of English prose per page...)

> and then I would tap or try to make a correction and the Newton would
> scroll back up to the top of the note - ARG!

I didn't have the scroll problem, as long as I placed the caret before
trying to make any changes - I noticed pretty quickly that if you made
changes to the text, the newton would scroll to wherever the caret was.

-Rhonda

--
Discuss the art and craft of writing - http://www.write-on.org
Did you know... the Earth's gravity field is weakest in India